Homeownership is not just a milestone you achieve in life. It also serves as an excellent long-term investment!
The investment of homeownership can accumulate returns over the years as your property’s market value increases. Upgrading and maintaining your house can also set you up for capital gains! While the upgrade process may sound daunting and expensive, a few simple steps can boost your home value without spending too much.
Attorney Ben Weaver at 23 Legal is a real estate lawyer with over 20 years of experience in Chicagoland. He knows the ins and outs of real estate law and is here to share proven strategies that will add value to your home. When it’s time to sell your home, you’ll want to make sure you aren’t taking a loss on it. Here are eight ways to increase your home’s value…
8 Ways to Increase Your Home’s Value
- Consult the Experts: When you decide to upgrade, it is best to start by consulting experts. A real estate attorney can help you identify areas of improvement, give suggestions, and help with contract negotiations. Realtors also help manage potential buyers, advertise the property and provide estimates of the upgraded property. Working with a home inspector can also help boost your prospects. They can identify areas for structural improvements and suggest potential options to increase your space. Bigger spaces fetch higher prices, and so do structurally sound ones, since buyers can move into the house relatively carefree.
- Get Inspired: Once you have identified areas of opportunity for your home, you can find plenty of inspiration on the internet. Your social media of choice will have budget-friendly decor tips or DIY ideas to give the space a stunning face-lift. You can use platforms like Pinterest to scout out new looks and ideas, as well as leads to curate all the materials you need. A visual mood board on the site can help you visualize the improved space better.
- Become Energy-Efficient: Small changes add up to big returns. For areas that have extreme heat or cold, energy-efficient appliances can significantly increase your home’s value. While it may seem like a costly investment in the house, energy savings you get will pay off the investment in the long run. Utility companies can help you identify what upgrades will help you save utility costs according to your location and house structure.
- Improve Curb Appeal: Curb appeal is an aspect no homeowner should compromise on, as the exterior is the first thing any prospective buyer will see. A fresh coat of paint can improve the home’s appearance and make it look new and well-maintained. If you have a front yard or lawn, keep it neatly landscaped and aesthetically pleasing. Ensure all the bushes, hedges, or plants are pruned and trimmed and look neat. You can also add landscaping projects for a luxurious and elegant feel without spending too much of your budget.
- Declutter and Organize: We tend to accumulate lots of things over time. Even if you aren’t a stage 5 hoarder, there are probably a few items you can stand to donate or recycle. Decluttering the space can free up room in the home and help you clean up before you make more purchases or add more items. It is one of the most inexpensive tasks on the list and can be done easily! Start with emptying cupboards, cabinets, and drawers. Sort all items into different piles. Determine what to keep, donate or sell. You can even make money by selling used items through thrift stores or garage sales. The proceeds can go towards renovations. You can also declutter furniture items if they do not fit into your new outlook for the house. You can reorganize the furniture and remove excessive and bulky items to give a more minimal and elegant look.
- Revamp and Renovate: Revamping the interior is just as important as maintaining a stunning exterior. You can give your house a cleaner and fresher look with a fresh coat of paint. It is inexpensive if you take on the task yourself instead of hiring professionals and save on costs. Additionally, renovate any items that require repairs. Items that cannot be salvaged can be replaced. This, along with the new paint, will give the house a fresh look, fetching you a higher price.
- Manage the Interior: You can also update the interiors of your home with a few simple tricks. Make sure the house is clean and decluttered. Deep clean the floors, cabinets, and upholstery so everything smells new and fresh. Spray air fresheners or light candles for a pleasant scent in the house. You can make the room well-lit by removing heavy drapes from the windows and replacing them with light curtains or blinds. Ensure these are open when staging the house or photographing the interior so the rooms look well-lit and spacious. Adding soft lights on the walls or through lamps can transform a room, making the space homely and welcoming.
- Regular Repairs and Maintenance: Make a habit of conducting regular repairs and maintenance. Set reminders in your calendar when to replace air filters, cut the grass, or any task that would be easy to forget. When you excel at maintaining your home, it will last longer and save you money in the long run. It will also help you save costs and efforts when eventually, you look to sell as you are likely to have a well-maintained house requiring only the smallest changes. You may be able to take on the maintenance and repairs by yourself through DIYs, but you will require professional help when looking to sell. A real estate lawyer can help you negotiate and find the best deal, take care of the paperwork, and also assist you in navigating the tricky legal landscape.
Having a trustworthy real estate attorney walk you through the entire process will make the sale of your house less overwhelming and complicated. If you want to consult an experienced, reputable real estate lawyer, contact 23 Legal! We’ll schedule a consultation to offer assistance and personalized service regarding the legalities of buying, managing, and planning your estate. Our personal touch and focus on customer satisfaction makes our firm the top choice for businesses and homeowners throughout Chicagoland.
Here’s what a client had to say about working with attorney Ben Weaver:
“Working with Ben was a real pleasure. He assisted me with both the sale and purchase closings of my homes. Ben is friendly and easy to work with. He was very responsive and answered all of my questions every step of the way. I highly recommend Ben!”
– Client Testimonial
Your home is an investment. Use these tips to increase your home’s value so when it’s time to sell, you come out on top!
Partner with 23 Legal and we can help you through the entire process…We’re in your corner.
Contact us today: (847) 447-6004
Why Choose 23 Legal
23 Legal offers Real Estate and Estate Planning legal services to individuals, families, community associations and small business owners throughout Chicagoland. We know how intimidating “the law” can be. In fact, when most people think of law offices, they think of stuffy leather chairs, huge wooden desks and pompous lawyers who charge outrageous fees. That’s not us! We believe in 1-to-1; the same lawyer should work with you all the way through. Whether you have an estate planning issue, family trust concern, or you have a legal problem in regard to a new home, business, real estate or remodel, you need a lawyer who cares. That’s where Ben comes in! We are great listeners; more than that, we are lawyers who believe that our clients always come first.