Did you become a new homeowner this year? Congratulations! This next chapter in your life is a major milestone and something to be proud of. Your journey as a first-time homeowner has just begun.
If you have enjoyed the bliss of your home during the spring, it is time to start setting up for a comfortable Illinois fall! Fall is one of our favorite times of the year. In Illinois, we get to witness the leaves turn red, yellow, and orange before falling. Pumpkin spice lattes are back. And don’t forget all of the pumpkin patches and fall festivals for weekend fun!
As you enter your first fall season with your new home, there are a few things to keep in mind when preparing your house for a change in weather. 23 Legal is here with our advice for transitioning your home for fall. As a homeowner, it’s vital to know how to care for your home (inside and outside) through every season.
That’s why attorney Ben Weaver has compiled the ultimate fall maintenance checklist! Following this list will keep you on top of seasonal home repairs and maintenance. We also offer the most wholesome, fall-appropriate decor ideas to set you up for the festive season. While some tasks are a must-do for a smooth season, others are just nice, warm seasonal touches to add! Let’s get started …
- Gutter Cleanup: The first task you need to tackle is gutter cleaning. Ensure all your gutters are unworn and not damaged. Thoroughly clean them by removing any leaves, twigs, or debris that has built up. If the gutters are sagging or show signs of damage, get them repaired or replaced before winter.
- Roof Inspection: Conduct a roof inspection. Examine your roof for missing or damaged shingles and replace them ASAP. Also, look for algae and moss buildup. While the algae only ruins the cosmetic look of the house, the moss could be pointing toward decay. Fix this immediately!
- Heating System Check: Your heating system should be in perfect condition before the cold sets in. Call a professional to do a detailed inspection and service. A well-functioning heating system will keep you warm, and it is more energy-efficient.
- Seal Gaps and Cracks: Inspect doors, windows, and foundations for gaps and cracks. Sealing them will keep the cold winds out, keeping you cozy inside. Sealing gaps also helps the heating system work more efficiently and will reduce your energy bill.
- Clean and Store Garden Tools: A lot of homeowners tend to ignore this but fall is the right time to properly clean and store your garden tools and equipment. Uncleaned tools are more prone to rust and deterioration when left in the shed. Clean them up properly before storing them so you don’t face any problems next year in spring.
- Lawn Care: Fall means more lawn care. Regularly cleaning up leaves from your lawn helps improve curb appeal. You can also use this time to “overseed” and fertilize your lawn right in time for summer.
- Outdoor Faucets: Leaving the pipes attached to your faucets outdoors can cause freezing and eventually break or burst pipes. Hence, you need to drain out all the pipes and remove them from the faucets to secure them against the cold.
- Chimney Sweep: If you have a fireplace, now is the time to prepare it. Sweep the fireplace and the chimney to remove ash build-up, ensuring safe and cozy fires.
Our real estate experts also want you to pay attention to the following tasks. While not mandatory, they can help you keep your house in shape, increase its value, and help you have a wonderful fall and winter in your home!
- Window Inspection: Check your windows for drafts. Installing weatherstripping or storm windows adds extra insulation. This will help you maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
- Insulate Pipes: Pipes often burst when exposed to extreme cold. Insulating the pipes can help prevent this and save you from major expenses later.
- Tree Trimming: Trim any overhanging branches near your home to prevent them from falling during storms. This will keep you and others around from potential injuries.
- Exterior Paint Touch-ups: If your home’s exterior paint is chipping or fading, you could consider touch-ups or a fresh coat before winter arrives. Painting the front door also offers the house a new look and will improve your curb appeal!
- Clean Outdoor Furniture: Before storing outdoor furniture, give it a good clean to prevent mold and damage.
DIY Fall Decor for Your Home
Fall means the festive season has just begun! And nothing quite says fall-like decorations! Here are some DIY ideas to welcome fall and turn your home into the perfect cozy and festive space for you.
- Create a front door wreath of leaves: Create the perfect entryway to your home by adding a wreath on your front door. You can easily make it home using autumn foliage and decorations.
- Add a pumpkin display: Arrange pumpkins and gourds on your porch or in your garden for a festive touch. Find more curb appeal tips for every season here!
- Add outdoor lighting: Warm lighting can make your house look welcoming during chilly nights. Add fairy lights and lanterns along your flower beds to give a warm soft glow to the house.
- Set up the backyard: The backyard can be your cozy nook in the fall. Add a few cushions, and throw blankets to set up the perfect reading spot for yourself.
- Embrace Halloween: At 23 Legal, we love Halloween! Don’t be afraid to get creative and go all out with your spooky display.
“We recently worked with Ben Weaver, 23 Legal LLC, with the purchase of our home. He was very thorough and made the home buying process very smooth. Would definitely work with him in any future real estate transactions.” – Client Testimonial
Protect Your Investment: Homeowner’s Insurance
As a new homeowner, there are important tasks to take care of your property year-round. Fall maintenance not only increases your home’s life and value, but also adds to your comfort in the colder seasons. With regular maintenance and repairs, you can set yourself up for a joyful, relaxing autumn.
But in addition keeping everything working and in order, we highly recommend our clients insure their home for a fuss-free season and peace of mind! Homeowner’s insurance is a smart move for protecting your investment long-term. Anything can happen, why leave it to chance? Expert real estate attorney, Ben Weaver, has much experience with advising homeowners. We can guide you through the home insurance process and introduce you to professionals that can assist you in selecting the best coverage to protect your interests.
Pro Tips for Selling Your Home in the Fall
Maybe you’re on the other side of the equation and you’re actually preparing to sell your home this season. Also very exciting! Selling your home while also buying a new one can be complex, but our team is up for the challenge!
Autumn is the perfect season for staging your home, creating a warm & cozy experience for showings. This fall home checklist should also come in handy as you prepare your home for a successful sale! Be sure to check out our article with proven tips for selling in the fall. We wish you all the best!
Ready to buy your next home? Or maybe you’re selling this fall?
23 Legal can help make the transition go as smoothly as possible!
Accomplish your real estate goals with attorney Ben Weaver: (847) 447-6004
Why Choose 23 Legal
23 Legal offers Real Estate and Estate Planning legal services to individuals, families, community associations and small business owners throughout Chicagoland. We know how intimidating “the law” can be. In fact, when most people think of law offices, they think of stuffy leather chairs, huge wooden desks and pompous lawyers who charge outrageous fees. That’s not us! We believe in 1-to-1; the same lawyer should work with you all the way through. Whether you have an estate planning issue, family trust concern, or you have a legal problem in regard to a new home, business, real estate or remodel, you need a lawyer who cares. That’s where Ben comes in! We are great listeners; more than that, we are lawyers who believe that our clients always come first.