From tasty cookouts to backyard pool parties to fun beach trips, there is plenty to love about summertime in Illinois. But the temperature isn’t the only thing that rises in the summer. So too does the demand for homes. The real estate market has become red hot! We’ve already discussed tips for buying a home in the winter months, let’s talk about what to expect when selling your home in the summer.
Selling your home in the summertime can seem like a daunting task…how are you able to sell your home successfully while still having time to enjoy the season? The good news is, 23 Legal is here to walk you through all of the steps and make this process as smooth as possible. Even if it’s your first time selling, we’ve got you covered! In this blog, we’ll cover the advantages and disadvantages of selling your home in the summertime. And then we’ll top it off with some excellent tips on how to make sure your home sells…fast!
The High and Lows of Selling Your Home in the Summer: What to Expect
Here are the top benefits to selling a home in the summer…
You’ll have plenty of showings: As we all know, in the summer, the days are longer and the nights are shorter. This gives you more time for showings than if you were to try to sell your home in the winter. Potential buyers are also more likely to spend time outside visiting open houses when the weather is warm and inviting.
Buyers are motivated in the summer: House hunters like to find the right house in the summer. Sometimes they may have missed out on a nice house during the spring months and want to close on a house before their children are back in school for Fall. More homes are in the market in the summer, so you can expect to field more offers.
Summer is a convenient time to move: Families looking for a new home love to move during the summer. The kids are out of school and are often in summer camps. Planning around school days, homework, and after school sports/activities severely limits the amount of time many house hunters have to look for their next home. More free time plus less unpredictable weather equals plenty of potential buyers.
The weather is perfect for showings: New homebuyers are often drawn to bright and vibrant homes. Chances are your property looks its best in the summer, when the sun is shining and the skies are clear. Additionally, summer often means the grass is green, the pool is up and running and the foliage is blooming. Maximize your curb appeal by keeping a neat lawn, giving your landscaping some TLC, and maintaining a clean and pristine exterior.
It’s easier to buy another home: If you’re looking to sell your home, chances are you’re also in the market to buy your next one. If that’s the case, the same advantages that apply to your home’s potential buyers also apply to you! In the summer, there are more homes for sale, which also means more homes available to buy. If you’re looking for a seamless real estate transaction, the summer is your best bet. Partner with a real estate attorney like Ben Weaver to help with all of the finer details.
Here are here are some of the downsides to selling a home in the summertime…
Selling obligations may interrupt last minute vacations: Summer is also a great time to travel. Whether it’s to the beach, Wisconsin Dells, or overseas, most people enjoy summer trips. If you plan to sell your house, this could interfere with your travel plans. If you’ve decided to do “for sale by owner” you will need to be home for showings and negotiations.
It’s harder to show the house when kids are home: School might be out for summer, but that’s only going to make it harder to show your home to potential buyers. Not only will you have to pick up the house on a regular basis, but you’ll also have to figure out a place for your kids to go when house hunters are looking at your home. Word of advice: if you do sell during the summer, arrange for the kids to go to a daycamp or playdate during home showings.
Moving in the summer heat isn’t easy: Moving in the summer is hard work! Lifting heavy boxes and cumbersome furniture during the summer without water is a recipe for dehydration. Make sure to stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, and keep portable fans around to keep cool. Another pro tip: hire movers to do the heavy lifting!
Some buyers won’t be as serious as others: Summertime brings more buyers to the table, but that doesn’t mean every one of them is serious about making a purchase. To avoid wasting time, have your realtor vet buyers for pre-approval letters prior to showing them the home. This eliminates showing your home to people just looking to pass some time.
The market is saturated with competition: Of course, more homes on the market also means more competition for you. You can bet that other home sellers will also be taking advantage of the summer season to list their homes for sale. With the warmer weather often comes a housing market saturated with listings. So it’s imperative that you make your home more appealing to potential buyers. Here are several things you can do to make your home stand out amongst the crowd…
6 Sensational Tips for Home Selling in the Summer
- Spruce up the exterior: When it comes to selling your home in the summer, curb appeal is everything! Mow the lawn, trim the hedges, water the plants, crank up your trusty weed eater, seal the driveway. Make your home appealing at first sight. Everyone loves flowers!
- Highlight outdoor living spaces: One of the best tips for staging a home in the summer is to prepare the outdoor living space. Clean the grill and have it ready for a BBQ or prepare the patio area. Is the pool open? Show Off your outdoor potential!
- Have a pre-inspection: Most people associate a home inspection as something only a buyer should do. That’s false! Sellers should order a pre-inspection. This will highlight the repairs that need to be addressed before the home is put up for sale. This can help you increase the price and limit the amount of surprises that will come from the buyer’s inspection.
- Keep the house cool: When potential buyers enter your home, they should feel comfortable with the temperature, it should be a cool and refreshing oasis compared to the heat of outside. Make sure your HVAC system is maintained and working properly. An extra touch: keep a pitcher of water or lemonade out for prospects!
- Deep clean and declutter: No one loves a messy home. Throw out items you don’t need. The four box method is a popular way to organize your belongings. Separate your belongings into four strict categories: keep, donate, sell, and trash/recycle. If you’re downsizing to a smaller home, this is the perfect time to let go of what you don’t need!
- Hire a real estate professional: Real estate lawyers like attorney Ben Weaver can help with the mountain of transactions that come with selling your home. Want to avoid making mistakes? Never attempt to review the legal docs on your own! Always hire a professional.
“We were selling a house long distance, after moving out of state before the sale. Ben made things extremely easy to do and saved us a lot of time and money by not needing us to be there in person. He even met with us via Zoom on a Saturday to make sure we understood everything that was going on. Highly responsive. Would definitely work with them again.” – Client Testimonial
The summer is an excellent time of year to sell your home. There are plenty of advantages to doing so. Buyers are more plentiful, children are out of school, and the weather is better suited for staging your home. Make sure your home is in tip top shape and ready to be shown off to potential buyers! Most importantly, hire a real estate lawyer like attorney Ben Weaver to help guide you through the selling process. Ready to partner with 23 Legal to transition into your next chapter? We’ll help ensure that the experience is as smooth and painless as possible for you and your family!
Summer is a terrific time to sell your home, but you don’t have to go it alone…
23 Legal can help with negotiations, home inspections, and even estate planning.
Learn more about working with attorney Ben Weaver to sell your home this summer, contact us today: (847) 447-6004
Why Choose 23 Legal
23 Legal offers Real Estate and Estate Planning legal services to individuals, families, community associations and small business owners throughout Chicagoland. We know how intimidating “the law” can be. In fact, when most people think of law offices, they think of stuffy leather chairs, huge wooden desks and pompous lawyers who charge outrageous fees. That’s not us! We believe in 1-to-1; the same lawyer should work with you all the way through. Whether you have an estate planning issue, family trust concern, or you have a legal problem in regard to a new home, business, real estate or remodel, you need a lawyer who cares. That’s where Ben comes in! We are great listeners; more than that, we are lawyers who believe that our clients always come first.